On Thursday AJ Foyt Racing made official what was speculated back in December and that is that driver Takuma Sato will drive for the team in the No. 14 car for the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series season. Sato will take over the seat vacated by Mike Conway.
“There were a lot of question marks when the season ended but I’m happy to put an end to all that now," said A.J. Foyt. "We chose to go with Takuma Sato because he brings a lot of experience to our team but he has the hunger of a rookie and he’s certainly proven he has the desire to win.”
ABC Supply will be the sponsor for Sato.
“I am extremely excited to be a part of A.J. Foyt Racing and working with ABC Supply for the 2013 season,” Sato said. “I have seen the potential of the team last year on a number of occasions. I think the team has one of the best engineering staffs in the paddock led by Don Halliday. I can’t wait to start testing next month."
Last year Conway only scored one podium finish and finished 21st in the driver standings as he raced 14 of the 15 events in the No. 14 car He did not compete in the season finale.
The 35-year old Sato will be 36 by the time the 2013 starts. He almost won the 2012 Indianapolis 500 and scored two podium finishes while coming home with a 14th place finish in the 2012 standings driving for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. In 2011 he finished 13th in the standings and had two poles with the KV Racing Technology team and in his IndyCar rookie season in 2010 he crashed out of nine of the 17 races and finished 21st in the standings with KVRT.
Sato raced from 2002 until 2008 in the Formula One Series.
The 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series season gets underway with the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on March 24.Tags: AJ Foyt Racing, Don Halliday, Formula One, IndyCar, KV Racing Technology, Mike Conway, Motorsports, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, Takuma Sato
No related posts.