On Friday Caterham Racing confirmed that Giedo Van der Garde will pilot the teams second car in the 2013 Formula One season. Charles Pic will be in Caterham's other car after coming over from Marussia F1 Team where he raced in 2012.
Van der Garde was the favorite to win the open spot at Caterham after taking part in six FP1 tests with the team in 2012.
“I know I am ready to take the step up to F1,” Van der Garde said, “and all the work I have done throughout my career, and particularly in the last year with this team, has brought me to my ultimate goal. Throughout 2012 I was able to fully integrate myself into the team, both through the FP1 sessions I ran at a number of tracks that were then new to me, and as Reserve Driver, fully embedded with the team throughout the season."
“He acquitted himself extremely well in both his GP2 season and his six FP1 sessions, progressively improving his outright pace, technical feedback and his relationship with his engineers and mechanics, giving us the clear justification for promoting him to F1," said team principal Cyril Abiteboul. "This is the next natural step for Giedo with our team. We continue to grow as a team and we are committed to giving young talent across the motorsport industry the chance to grow with us, and this is Giedo’s opportunity to show he deserves his place at the very highest level of global motorsport."
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Caterham F1 Team Expected to Keep Vitaly Petrov for the 2013 Season
- Regan Smith and Sam Hornish Jr. Have 2013 Nationwide Series Crew Chiefs Announced
- 2013 Crew Chiefs for Carl Edwards and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. at Roush Fenway Racing Announced
- Jamie McMurray in Need of a Turnaround Season, Sponsorship Partners to Be Announced in January
- Daytona Preseason Thunder Dates Announced Along with Two More Test Sessions at Charlotte Motor Speedway
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pix